Tuesday, November 15, 2005

When We Two Parted – Lord Byron

When We Two Parted – Lord Byron

When we two parted
In silence and tears,
Half broken-hearted,
To sever for years,
Pale grew thy cheek and cold,
Colder thy kiss;
Truly that hour foretold
Sorrow to this.

The dew of the morning
Sank chill on my brow -
It felt like the warning
Of what I feel now.
Thy vows are all broken,
And light is thy fame:
I hear thy name spoken,
And share in its shame.

They name thee before me,
A knell to mine ear;
A shudder comes o'er me -
Why wert thou so dear?
They know not I knew thee,
Who knew thee too well: -
Long, long shall I rue thee
Too deeply to tell.

In secret we met -
In silence I grieve
That thy heart could forget,
Thy spirit deceive.
If I should meet thee
After long years,
How should I greet thee? -
With silence and tears.

* Lord Byron is gooood. I am reading his works.. works of a passionate and kinda crazy man I think. :)

2 Comments:

Blogger aria said...

Hey Dooks :)
I read this poem.. long bck .. Its a lovely poem!! Thanks for posting n reminding me again!
Byron is great .. as you probably know Emily Dickinson is my favorite .. just thought of posting few lines by her .. on parting ..hope you like it . (incase you hvnt read it earlier!)

"You left me, sweet, two legacies,--
A legacy of love
A Heavenly Father would content,
Had He the offer of;

You left me boundaries of pain
Capacious as the sea,
Between eternity and time,
Your consciousness and me."

Love :)
Ms Wail.

10:57 AM  
Blogger Divya said...

Ms Wail, Thats a nice poem. I know you are a fan of Dickinson. I will get to know her more soon I guess coz I like this and want to read more. Thanks for this.

Love,
Dooks

10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home